High Plains Register
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The High Plains Register pledges to publish outstanding, original literature, music, and visual art that captures the unique cultures of the West, while also featuring fresh, modern perspectives and ideas from across the nation. It is our intent to inspire thought, emotion, and creativity in our local readership and beyond.
We accept previously unpublished, original poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, drama, music, and visual art. Authors of works chosen for publication will receive a free contributor's copy.
We are open to submissions each year from May 1-December 15. Postal (snail) mail submissions must be postmarked no later than December 15. The deadline for electronic submissions is 5:00 p.m. MST, December 15.
Any submission that does not follow guidelines is subject to deletion.
- No previously published work.
- Simultaneous submissions okay.
- Submissions must remain blind; thus, authors may not include their names or identifying information anywhere in the documents submitted or in the title of the submission.
- Individuals may submit pieces in more than one genre at a time.
- Submissions must follow genre-specific guidelines. Genre guidelines can be found at the bottom of this page ONLY WHEN the submission period is open and active (May 1 to December 15).
- Do not email submissions. To be considered for publication, work must be submitted online via Submittable. While electronic submissions are preferred, hard copy submissions are acceptable and can be mailed to:High Plains Register, c/o Kristin Abraham, Laramie County Community College, 1400 E. College Drive, Cheyenne, WY 82007.
Upon publication, HPR claims First North American Serial Rights; after publication, all rights revert to the author, with the understanding that HPR will receive credit if the piece is published elsewhere.
Questions? Visit our FAQs page.